Monday, November 13, 2006

Studio 60

I'm digging Studio 60, getting hooked on it from episode 2. It is about the only show I've seen in a while that deals with evangelicals and their views on issues. The Christian on the show--Amanda Peet--isn't the best representation of evangelicals but comes closest to what I've seen on TV. The current issue is about homosexuality, the conflict between Peet's belief that it is a sin and the views of others on the cast of the studio. Though some of the dialogue is cheesy, both views are presented more than just in sound bites. Peet's character is shown standing on her belief that the Bible states it to be a sin, yet knowing its injunction not to judge others. The show gives the viewer the ability to think about both sides. Matthew Perry's character challenged Peet to consider what difference it makes to a hetero married couple with a gay married couple living two doors down, asking why their love is any less important than the married couples'. I hope the show makes it. Great writing and acting.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gritsforbreakfast said...

Of course, that's the same producer (Aaron Sorkin, I think is his name) and some of the same cast, even, from the West Wing.

If you recally Peet and Perry did a couple of movies together with Bruce Willis, too.

I agree it's a pretty good show. I'll bet people watch it.

Hope all's well. Say hi to the missus and the young'uns for me.

11/14/2006 06:40:00 PM  
Blogger Us said...

Amanda Peet plays Jordan, the network president; Sarah Paulson plays Harriet, the Baptist. I only know this because I had to watch the first few weeks, as a friend of mine made an appearance in one episode.

Happy viewing!

11/16/2006 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger John Henson said...

Kip,

Thanks for the info. They both do a great job and hopefully will keep the show going. Tell Jason and Erica I said hello.

11/16/2006 01:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home