Saturday, May 07, 2005

Mom,

Mother's Day is here again and it has not been the same since my mother died of cancer in April of 2000. I miss her dearly and the pain of not having her here is aided only by the vivid memories that run through my mind. These come in many ways and many times, usually when I least expect them. They are triggered by such things as the smell of her perfume, the salt and pepper hair color on a passer-by, her picture on my refrigerator, the note from her kept in my Bible reminding me to change my clock for day-light savings, or the smell of popcorn--our favorite snack. The memories come as I am going about my day yet they always cause me to stop as the reel in my mind plays like a favorite movie I hope never ends. I feel the memory and it brings warmth to my soul. It is as if she is here and I forget she is gone. I then feel the bite of pain from remembering that she is not here. The feeling of frustration and even resentment is there, but I soon find myself giving thanks to God for the power and blessing of memory. The thought of who she was to me and to others in this world and thoughts of another day ahead consoles my pain, as I know it did hers before she left this world. Loss gives way to resurrection. I miss you mom, yet I shall see you again. Shirley Henson, 1937-2000, a mom with the patience of Job, the encouragment of Barnabas, the hands of Mother Theresa, the work ethic beyond that of the most serious Protestant, the godliness of Proverbs 31 and the love of her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Leckie said...

Your mom sounds like she was an incredible lady. Explains how her son turned out.

Thanks for sharing the mental snapshot of a great legacy!

Grace & Peace,

Johnny

5/08/2005 09:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home