Sunday, March 26, 2006

"Values" vs. Helping the Poor

A page in my Star-Telegram News this morning had two stories side by side. One article about certain potential Presidential candidates, particularly Mike Huckabee, catering to the religious right for votes in 2008. One of his quotes, which I think I remember in one of those goofy emails people tend to forward around, shows what matters to him and also how out of touch he is with real issues. Huckabee said,
"Let's face it," he recently told a crowd of Christian conservatives in Iowa, which holds the nation's earliest presidential caucuses. "In our lifetimes, we've seen our country go from Leave it to Beaver to Beavis and Butt-Head, from Barney Fife to Barney Frank, from Father Knows Best to television shows where father knows nothing."
On the same page (sorry there is no link here to Star-Telegram, but they did not have an online article of it I could find. The New York Times has it here), there was a picture of John Kerry and a story about what he is emphasizing as a possible emerging candidate for 2008. The line above the article is "With an eye on politics, Edwards makes poverty his cause." I wasn't a fan of Edwards in the last election, but I like what he is standing for; the contrast in emphasis from Huckabee's empty one-liners and what he thinks needs emphasis in America today. I have no idea what other planks there are in Edward's platform, but right now his sounds more stable and useful than those of other candidates. On another note, I was sad to see that Buck Owens died.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home