Monday, February 20, 2006

The Meaning of Jesus

I just finished The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions and must say it is one of the best books I have read on matters pertaining to who Jesus is and how we can know what we know about him. As can be seen by reading through my archives, N.T. Wright is one of my favorite scholars, but I enjoy reading Borg as well and I loved their dialogue throughout the book. Both writers do a superb job of clarifying their views and it is refreshing to see them be able to respectfully disagree with each other on issues, though they agree on so many as well. I found that having the two present their views in this way helped deepen my understanding not only of their interpretations but also of Jesus. At the end of the book, I felt more fascinated with the person of Jesus than before and also challenged by what I read and with a desire to read on from both authors. Their relationship and pursuit in learning as much about Jesus as possible--whether through history, metaphor or by faith and experience--provides a great example of how to learn from others with whom we disagree through listening to the other person and taking the time to enter into dialogue rather than writing someone off who just sees things through the lens a little differently. I will be thinking more about this one and I will be posting some quotes and questions as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home