Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Progressional Dialogue

Our church met in homes this past summer before moving into another school. One of the wonderful things about meeting in homes was that the preaching/teaching time was always--really by necessity--interactive and conversational. By the time we moved into the school last month, I had become hooked on what God was doing as people participated in the discussion of the text. I was also reading Doug Pagitt's Preaching Re-Imagined and learning even more about the differences between speaching and progressional dialogue (If you haven't read the book yet, I highly recommend it. I have been preaching for 14 years and this is my first time to present the Scripture without "speaching" other than in a small group format. I agree with Doug that progressional dialogue should not replace other forms of preaching, but it needs to be a standard staple in the diet of the church). I'll blog more on this as we experiment with it in the days ahead.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, John. Found your blog on a search of this book. Haven't read it yet. I'll be preaching for the first time on November 13th & 20th while our pastor is away on a 3 month sabatical. We haven't tried progressive dialogue but I'm willing to give it a shot. I would never do anything to hurt our church but I don't think a change of preaching style would do any damage, do you?

Any advice for a novice? My email address is jim.paul@discoveryhonda.net

10/29/2005 12:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home